Thursday 29 November 2007

3G iPhone Coming in 2008


My view has always been it is not worth buying the iPhone until they bring out a 3G model. Anyone who has got used to 3G speeds and browsing the net on something like the Nokia N95 would find going back to 2G on the iPhone the same as dropping broadband in favour of dial up.


Now iPhone fans will always respond, "yeah but its got Wifi for fast surfing" which is all well and good when you are sitting on an unsecured Wifi network but in reality these days more and more are locked down so you end up paying more money to use an ISPs cloud. Or more often than not, you give up and go back to using your telecoms internet.


So, in my case, I use a Nokia N95 on T-Mobile with their "unlimited" Web 'n' Walk package. It works well, I'm nearly always on 3G and just don't need to search for Wifi connections. If I went to a 2G iPhone it would kill me... even though the iPhone does really appeal to me.


I'm relieved then that the CEO of AT&T Randall Stephenson says, "You'll have it next year". He wouldn't be drawn on prices, saying that this would be set by Apple but I doubt it would be anymore expensive than the original iPhone at launch, which was $599.


So that is something to look forward to then although by the time we get it in Europe will Nokia have superseeded the N95 with something even better?

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites